Developing skills for the Airgineers school STEM drone challenge TY251 / A19
Get the skills needed to run the Airgineers school STEM drone challenge with your students, as well as developing your knowledge of computer aided design (CAD), CNC manufacture and drone flight.
Airgineers is a STEM challenge for secondary school aged students that involves designing, building and learning to fly a radio controlled quadcopter, often referred to as a drone. On their quest to become Airgineers UK Champions, teams compete in two different classes, Micro and 3S.
"The quality of support during the two days has been fantastic with a range of different approaches to designing, building and flying the Airgineers micro drone. It's always a pleasure to travel to the STEM Centre as you know the quality of training is going to have a real impact!" Past participant 2018.
This course will provide hands-on training to prepare you to deliver the Micro Class drones challenge with your students. Micro Class drones are small and light, making them perfect for use indoors. The Airgineers competition requires students to use CAD to design their own Micro Drone frame, focusing on creating strong yet lightweight designs.
On the course you will learn:
- how to use Autodesk Fusion 360 to design a Micro Drone frame from scratch
- how to use a 3D printer to manufacture your Micro Drone body
- about the Airgineers competition and how it can be used in your school
- how Airgineers can be used as a iterative design project, making effective use of CAD and CAM.
- how to optimise your drone design, looking at strength, weight and print quality
- how to create high quality rendered images of your designs in CAD
- how to assemble a Micro Drone using the Airgineers parts
- how to fly a micro drone
Each person that attends the course will receive a Micro Drone Starter Kit, containing the electronics, the controller and the first person view goggles required to compete in the Airgineers competition.
Knowledge of CAD is helpful, but not necessary. Laptops will be provided for all participants and we will be using the latest educational version of Autodesk Fusion 360 for the design sessions.
This is residential CPD, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
- use Autodesk Fusion 360 to create designs and rendered drawings of your Micro drone
- understand how to manufacture a drone using 3D printing
- understand the basics of how to participate in the Airgineers school STEM Challenge
|Developing skills for the Airgineers school STEM drone challenge - day 1||22 November 2019||10:30-18:30||National STEM Learning Centre|
|Developing skills for the Airgineers school STEM drone challenge - day 2||23 November 2019||09:00-15:15||National STEM Learning Centre|
Fees & Subsidies
For courses at the National STEM Learning Centre in York, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available