Practical plant science and ecology for secondary schools NY260 / A16
Plant science and ecology can often be a frustrating topic with a perceived lack of activities and practicals that work. This 3 day course in partnership with the Royal Horticultural Society, will allow teachers and technicians to explore a diverse range of engaging activities and practicals to put into their schemes of work.
Day 1 of the course will be spent learning about plants to use in science lessons, with an opportunity to trail and evaluate a number of different plant science practicals.
Day 2 will be spent at RHS Garden Harlow Carr. Here you will learn field study techniques in a range of habitats including streams, ponds, woodland, grass and meadows. Advice will also be given on how to create habitats in your school environment.
Day 3 will explore horticulture practicals and plant crops as a context linking into the new GCSE specification. There will also be an opportunity to undertake planning activities to ensure practicals and skills are incorporated into your own work.
This is a residential course, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course. Course fees vary for participants outside the UK. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
Participants will be able to:
- describe how to propagate and grow a range of plants for use in the science classroom.
- evaluate a range of plants science practice work for KS3, KS4 and KS5
- develop skills in ecology fieldwork, learning sampling techniques for a range of different habitats and confidence in the use of keys.
- explore how a variety of habitats can be created, developed and managed within the school grounds
- develop an action plan to put your learning into practice and develop your schemes of work
|Practical plant science and ecology for secondary schools - day 1||20 June 2017||11:00-19:00||National STEM Learning Centre|
|Practical plant science and ecology for secondary schools - day 2||21 June 2017||09:00-19:00||National STEM Learning Centre|
|Practical plant science and ecology for secondary schools - day 3||22 June 2017||09:00-15:30||National STEM Learning Centre|
Fees & Subsidies
For courses at the National STEM Learning Centre in York, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available