GMC2: Estimating, calculating and error spotting
This list contains a collection of resources to help meet General Mathematical Competency 2 (GMC2). More resources to support T level Science can be found on our T Level science resource packages page.
- Be able to estimate lengths, areas and volumes to aid error spotting.
- Be able to estimate the approximate answer to a calculation to aid error spotting.
- Know when rounding a value to a specific place value or to a number of significant figures is appropriate in addition to being able to perform the skill.
- Be aware of the errors caused by inappropriate rounding
- Appreciate why the use of rounded values in subsequent calculations can cause significant errors in the final solution.
- Be able to work with error bounds, max and min values and calculate percentage error
- Deal with small and large numbers expressed in standard form
- Be able to calculate the rate of reaction: amount of reactant or product/time