Moving on with Maths Teaching
Research based, collaborative maths teaching projects. Tested in classrooms. How do you make this work for you? Plan with others? Chat with others?
Links and Resources
Adding Fractions Inquiry:
- Give students the square, students then have to come up with ideas as to what they notice
- Lead them into noticing patterns themselves
- Not a directed resource
- A way of addressing misconceptions
- Lots of details, brilliant discussion, but... too much?
- Use of regularity cards to prompt student thinking/strategies
- Give them all 6. They choose which to use
- What is the assumed knowledge?
- Used to re-enforce learning? Look at misconceptions etc.
- Can they generalise one? Can you design another example?
- Support materials e.g. starter activity
- Heavy on exploration. Promotes independence. Promotes collaborative work.
- Resource also includes suggested questions and prompts
- "will it work if its got a two on top..?"
- Examples of students work
Chapter 10, p11 tilted squares activity
Standards Unit- see pedagogy materials as well as teaching materials!