MEI Integrating Mathematical Problem Solving
The resources in this collection are the result of a project managed by Mathematics in Education and Industry (MEI) and funded by the Clothworkers’ Foundation. The aims of the project are to:
• Highlight the importance of mathematics and statistics across the sixth form curriculum
• Enable A level students to see how mathematics and statistics are used in context across a variety of subjects
• Improve the ability of students to apply mathematical and statistical techniques to solve problems or draw conclusions
• Help students to develop important skills for higher education and employment
• Inspire students to investigate further
The resources in this collection show how mathematics is used in a variety of subject areas. There are examples of how mathematics is used in economics and business, biology, chemistry, physics, geography and psychology.
From the Integrating Mathematical Problem Solving project by MEI, this series of activities explores how mechanical oscillations are important in many areas of everyday life. Sometimes they are useful, for example the motion of the suspension on a car, sometimes they are fun, for example a fairground 'pirate ship'...
From the Integrating Mathematical Problem Solving project by Mathematics in Education and Industry (MEI), this activity for post-16 students shows that correlation can be used to measure the strength of a linear relationship.
Statistical Inference looks for evidence of what is happening in the population by...
From the Integrating Mathematical Problem Solving project by Mathematics in Education and Industry (MEI), this activity for post-16 students demonstrates that if a link is suspected between a risk factor and an illness, statistical methods can be used to test whether such a link exists. Topic areas covered are:...