Science Communicators: secondary working with primary
SPLATS = Students Presenting Learning And Teaching Science.
Secondary students present a series of science activities to primary pupils. This project brings together secondary schools and their local primary schools to enjoy an exciting practical science day.
The benefits of this project are:
- secondary students developing confidence in presentation, communication, planning and organisational skills;
- primary pupils and their teachers enjoying hands-on science activities which develop science enquiry and investigation skills;
- the pupils meeting secondary staff and students;
- the secondary school developing closer links with the primary schools.
Each activity also generates resources for the primary school teachers for follow-up work.
Eighteen sixth-form students present six workshop sessions to six classes of Y5 pupil and their teachers. This would all be hosted on the secondary school site.
Day 1: the students are trained to present science workshops.
Day 2: pupils meet the students and enjoy an action-packed day of workshop sessions.
Variations are possible, for example:
- having more than one event day;
- involving Y9 or Y10 students instead of sixth-formers;
- involving more secondary students;
- taking the workshops into local primary schools;
- involving younger primary pupils.
Secondary students develop skills: presentation, communication, teamwork, organisational.
Primary pupils develop how to work and think scientifically.
Primary teachers inspired in how to deliver practical science.To book this activity, please contact:
The STEM Directory is provided as a service to support you in finding enrichment opportunities. The activities are offered by external providers and are not endorsed by STEM Learning. We are not responsible for their content or delivery.
Grants for school
The Royal Institution runs two enrichment and enhancement grant schemes. Grants of up to £500 are available to UK-registered state schools to host a STEM activity selected from the STEM Directory.
There are a number of other organisations that offer grants to schools.
|Published||07 November 2019|
|Last modified||07 November 2019|
|Nature of scheme||In-school visit|
|Subject(s)||Personal development, Science, Physics, Working scientifically, Practical work, Techniques and procedures, Enquiries and investigations, Chemistry|
|Running times||1 day-1 week|
One SPLATS Project comprises one training day, one event day and all materials. This assumes up to 180 primary pupils participating in six KS2 workshops. Variations (including extra event days) can be costed accordingly.
|Log in to rate this resource|