Practical science workshops in primary schools
All our workshops support the overall aim of the Curriculum to “develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of science ... to answer scientific questions about the world around” and cover the statutory requirements to teach “practical scientific methods, processes and skills through the teaching of the programme of study content”.
Our Key Stage 1 workshops:
- ask simple questions that can be answered in different ways
- help pupils observe closely, using simple equipment
- encourage pupils to perform simple tests
- use observations and ideas to suggest answers
Our Y3/4 workshops:
- ask relevant questions and use different types of scientific enquiries to answer them
- set up simple practical enquiries, comparative and fair tests
- help pupils make systematic and careful observations
- allow pupils to report findings
- use results to draw simple conclusions
- use straightforward scientific evidence to answer questions or to support conclusions
Our Y5/6 workshops:
- plan scientific enquiries to answer questions, recognising and controlling variables
- encourage pupils to take measurements with appropriate accuracy and repeated readings, using a range of scientific equipment
- allow pupils to record data and results of increasing complexity
All our workshops are designed, mainly for specific age groups, to develop scientific skills.
We can be flexible.
Please ask for details.
We can also provide Inset for developing practical science in school.
Children able to think and work scientifically.
Teachers inspired to deliver such activities themselves after our visit.To book this activity, please contact:
The STEM Directory is provided as a service to support you in finding enrichment opportunities. The activities are offered by external providers and are not endorsed by STEM Learning. We are not responsible for their content or delivery.
|Published||06 November 2019|
|Last modified||12 November 2019|
|Nature of scheme||In-school visit|
|Subject(s)||Science, Physics, Working scientifically, Practical work, Enquiries and investigations, Chemistry|
|Age||4-5, 5-7, 7-11|
|Running times||1-4 hours|
The cost is per day and assumes three sessions seeing up to six classes. A small contribution might be required towards travel and accommodation if the Workshop Leader lives a significant distance away.