Hands-on Science Workshops
Lab Rascals is an award winning interactive science entertainment company in Yorkshire and the Humber. Lab Rascals educate, inspire and entertain children with the magnificent world of science and engineering.
Due to Lab Rascals extensive research at the University of Hull into children’s perceptions of science Lab Rascals leave all the “flashes and bangs” in the Lab bring only the most enjoyable and engaging hands-on experimentation into your classroom. All Lab Rascals workshops are led by DBS checked highly trained scientists with a minimum of a 2.1 degree in chemistry, astronomy, physics or engineering.
Our Hands-on Science Workshops
These 30-50 minute workshops involve all children do a minimum of two experiments. We require a standard classroom or hall with tables without chairs, access to water, and mains power. Please avoid rooms with carpets for our polymers workshop.
· States of Matter (KS1- KS3) Exciting dry ice experiments and “wow “ factor demos. Explore solids, liquids and gases, evaporating, condensing, melting, sublimation and freezing.
· Polymers (KS1- KS3) Explore polymers, which are found everywhere, from our food, clothes and even slime. Experiment with material properties, man-made & natural materials and create new materials.
· Dry Ice Volcanoes (KS1- KS3) These volcanoes are amazing. They rumble before erupting to simulate at an earthquake, produce a large gas cloud and lava. Discover plate tectonics, earthquakes, volcanoes and natural disasters.
· Light (KS1- KS3) Discover the energy waves of light from the sun, electrical bulbs and fire. Observe rainbows, prisms, refraction, colour mixing, colourful flames and photosensitive materials.
· DNA (KS2- KS3) Discover the code for all living life by making models and extracting DNA. Create an understanding of genetic coding, chromosomes, inheritance and defects.
Testimonials (taken from our Lab Rascals Facebook page):
"I loved the way all children were encouraged to participate and join in the activities and query what may happen during experiments and why.
Excellent delivery, entertaining and educational, slime next time maybe, thanks Clare"
"In three days the Lab Rascals have inspired over 400 children, oh yes, and staff. We have a teacher wanting to extract DNA to make a banorange lol x fabulous Science Week treat for the school"
"Fab workshops and my young scientists was engaged throughout. Really good fun working with materials you don't get to use every day (Dry Ice Volcanoes; Slime & Worms). Can't wait to do more in the future."
The STEM Directory is provided as a service to support you in finding enrichment opportunities. The activities are offered by external providers and are not endorsed by STEM Learning. We are not responsible for their content or delivery.
Grants for school
The Royal Institution runs two enrichment and enhancement grant schemes. Grants of up to £500 are available to UK-registered state schools to host a STEM activity selected from the STEM Directory.
There are a number of other organisations that offer grants to schools.
|Published||15 January 2018|
|Last modified||30 April 2018|
|Nature of scheme||In-school visit|
|Subject(s)||Science, Physics, Working scientifically, Earth science, Practical work, Chemistry|
|Age||4-5, 5-7, 7-11, 11-14|
|Running times||1-4 hours|
Prices: £325 per half day, £595 per full day. Prices exclude VAT and travel.