FunMaths Roadshow (South East)
The FunMaths Roadshow is a collection of 350 mathematical activities suitable for use with school pupils, college students, and university undergraduates. The first 100 were developed to celebrate the centenary of the Liverpool Mathematical Society in 1999, and the further 250 have been developed subsequently. The Roadshow continues to be owned by the Liverpool Mathematical Society and its development is an ongoing attempt, in part, to provide a brief experience of some elements of what practising mathematicians do in real-life.
The FunMaths Roadshow consists of fourteen ‘boxes’. Each box contains 25 mathematical activities displayed on coloured laminated A3 baseboards, with associated equipment in zip wallets.
The activities are set out on tables in a hall or large space, we do not use chairs as they can hinder movement or act as a trip hazard. All that a participant needs is a pen or pencil.
Participants move around the room tackling the activities in any order they choose. Each participant has a customised response sheet to be stamped or initialled by a helper when each activity is successfully completed. Helpers in a school-setting could be staff or older pupils from the school or, in a primary school, perhaps even pupils from a secondary into which the primary school feeds. In a typical session of 50 – 75 minutes, with pupils working in pairs, most pupils will complete a dozen or so activities.
Certainly enjoyment and challenge are the most appropriate words to characterise the Roadshow as a whole.
What age groups:
- From 5 to 20 (or older!)
- The boxes are roughly graded into year groups from “Box -1” for years 1&2 through to “Box 10” for year 13
- Additional “Reality Maths Boxes 11 & 12” are suitable for older pupils not studying maths
Maximum number of children per group you can cater for:
- Entirely dependent on space and number of adult helpers. 120+ is common, more with careful planning
- Usually 4-5 sessions of 60-75 minutes per session depending on the school’s timetable
How much space you need:
- Each puzzle is on a single A3 sheet and pupils work in pairs with puzzles on desks/tables and no chairs.
- Anything from a classroom (for 30 pupils at a time) through to a hall (for 120 or more)
Geographic area(s) covered:
- Mainly South East England (Surrey and ~100 mile radius)
- For delivery outside the South East, see Liverpool University Maths Outreach
- problem solving
- insight development
- ideas exploration
- solution achievement
- discussion with colleagues
- outcome interpretation
All this takes place in a non-confrontational and non-competitive setting encompassing both challenge and enjoyment.
To book this activity, please contact:
The STEM Directory is provided as a service to support you in finding enrichment opportunities. The activities are offered by external providers and are not endorsed by STEM Learning. We are not responsible for their content or delivery.
|Published||05 September 2017|
|Last modified||30 June 2020|
|Nature of scheme||In-school visit|
|Age||4-5, 5-7, 7-11, 11-14, 14-16, 16-19, FE/HE|
|Running times||1-4 hours|
Cost from £400-£750 depending on size and distance from Surrey.