Astronomy and Stargazing Outreach
Highland Astronomy Tours offers public outreach astronomy talks & tours, and private stargazing events around the Inverness and wider Scottish Highlands from astronomer Stephen Mackintosh.
Stephen's professional guiding can include any of the following, tailored to your specific requirements:
- Naked eye constellation and binocular tours
- Eyepiece and video telescope viewing
- Telescope spectroscopy
- Fun and informative astronomy activities for schools and clubs
- Daytime solar astronomy
- Astronomy talks and lectures
“Stephen is an articulate and nuanced astronomer, with a real flair for communicating complex concepts in a way that people can understand. His video telescope work is excellent, revealing details of the cosmos on a computer screen for all to see, allowing audiences to marvel at Jupiter’s moons, faint nebulae, and distant giant galaxies.” – Steve Owens, author of “Stargazing for Dummies’ @darkskyman.
“I’d thoroughly recommend Stephen Mackintosh to host an astronomy event. As well as being extremely knowledgeable, he is a good communicator that is well able to hold the attention of a large group. I look forward to working with him again and to what I’ll learn about and see in the night sky” — Caroline Snow, Project Manager, Merkinch Local Nature Reserve, Inverness.
“I have spent many a happy but chilly night alongside Stephen Mackintosh, enjoying a guided tour of the night sky. He has shown me planets, galaxies, clusters and nebulae. Every sighting has been accompanied with informative commentary about their discovery and historical background. Wrap up warm and bring a flask of hot chocolate. You will be in for an unforgettable night.” — Gavin Macfie, Writer and Outdoorsman at Living Mountain.
Visit modulouniverse.com/highland-astronomy-tours for more information or modulouniverse.com.
- Knowledge of constellations, pointers stars and celestial navigation
- A better appreciation for the night sky and the human connections with it
- Understanding the raw science of astronomy and the dynamics of the stars
- Comprehension of the scale of our solar system, galaxy and wider universe.
- Engaging learners in the big unanswered questions at the edges of cosmology - the expanding universe, dark matter, dark energy.
- Making the most accessible of all sciences - Astronomy - fun and creative!To book this activity, please contact:
The STEM Directory is provided as a service to support you in finding enrichment opportunities. The activities are offered by external providers and are not endorsed by STEM Learning. We are not responsible for their content or delivery.
Grants for school
The Royal Institution runs two enrichment and enhancement grant schemes. Grants of up to £500 are available to UK-registered state schools to host a STEM activity selected from the STEM Directory.
There are a number of other organisations that offer grants to schools.
|Published||02 February 2018|
|Last modified||02 February 2018|
|Nature of scheme||In-school visit|
|Age||5-7, 7-11, 11-14, 14-16, 16-19, FE/HE|
|Running times||1-4 hours|
Costs really depend on duration and scale of outreach. I do reasonable fixed prices for schools or large gatherings