Stem challenges for first and second level NS015
Primary and ASN staff will experience a progression of STEM Challenges, and plan collegiately to integrate across the curriculum within their schools
This course covers a progression of STEM Challenges, suitable for Primary and ASN staff working with learners at First and Second Level. Through experiential learning, staff will consider how to integrate STEM Challenges across the curriculum in their own settings and provide support for colleagues.
The course includes:
A face-to-face training day at SSERC in Dunfermline, with a kit box to take away. The training day will cover:
- The Engineering Design Process
- Experiential learning with a range of STEM Challenges
- Skills development
- Developing these skills across the curriculum
- Online resources
- Real life and careers links
- Planning and next steps
2. Gap task - time in school to plan, inform and provide support for colleagues
3. Virtual session - progress update and planning next steps
To apply for this course please apply via SSERC directly (https://www.sserc.org.uk/professional-learning/primary-clpl/) Shortly after the published closing date for applications the Administration Team at SSERC will send successful applicants:
- confirmation of an offer of a place on the course together with details on enrolment procedures
- information on ENTHUSE bursaries and how to apply for such a bursary
- a set of terms and conditions which you must meet in order to qualify for an ENTHUSE bursary
Who is it for?
Primary and ASN staff working with learners at First and Second Level in Scotland
What topics are covered?
Curriculum for Excellence links (across First and Second Level) to:
Technologies (construction and Engineering)
Health and Wellbeing
Other areas of the curriculum
How will you learn?
Experiential learning through practical workshops and discussion during face-to-face day
Collegiate discussion during gap task at school
Collaborative discussion during virtual session
Evaluation and reflection
How long is this course?
This course aims to:
- raise confidence, skills and knowledge in the delivery of effective STEM Challenges to develop learners’ skills across First and Second Level
- support staff to plan and integrate STEM Challenges effectively across the curriculum in their schools
- provide a range of useful resources and materials that can be integrated into school planning