Develop subject knowledge and pedagogical skills enabling the confident teaching of Key Stage 4 biology.
Develop your subject knowledge and pedagogical skills enabling the you to confidently teach Key Stage 4 biology.
Teaching Key Stage 4 biologist as a non-specialist can be daunting and even more so if you don’t have a science background. You will gain the subject specific knowledge and resources required to teach biology effectively.
We will support you so you can get the best out of your students, by working on their misconceptions, active engagement, engaging with core practicals and supporting your students with the final written exam, by developing sound practice in GCSE biology.
Who is it for?
For experienced teachers who are not scientists but are required to teach Key Stage 4 biology. Scientists who are not biology specialists or teachers who have limited experience of delivering Key Stage 4 biology.
What topics are covered?
This two-day course covers:
- addressing common misconceptions in biology
- core biology practicals
- development of key biology practical skills
- practical management and making risk assessment
Not sure yet? Here is a free taster which will give you a better understanding of what to expect once you join the course. Please note, this is a free short activity you can do in your own time.
How will you learn?
This course will be delivered face to face with participant tasks to be completed between sessions.
How long is this course?
This is a two-day intensive residential course.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- teach Key Stage 4 biology with increased confidence using a range of teaching strategies to assess students’ prior understanding
- counter your students' misconceptions and move learning forward at pace
- evaluate the impact of change within your teaching on students’ attitudes and outcomes
This is a residential course, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.