Help! How do I teach biology in a primary school? NY067
Develop your own subject knowledge whilst exploring all aspects of the primary biology curriculum in this practical subject knowledge based course.
This primary science course is packed full of practical ideas to teach biology within your school. You will be able to explore how children’s ideas and skills are progressed from year 1 to year 6. Discover why biology is essential for gaining an understanding of the world and how we can set strong foundations for this in primary schools.
You will explore a range of engaging, practical strategies to teach biology and discover how to tackle children's misconceptions. You will learn how to develop a progressive curriculum for biology which builds on children’s prior experiences and learning. This course will not only give you a host of ideas to inspire your pupils, it will also give you the opportunity to ask our Professional Development Leaders any questions you may have about biology.
Who is it for?
What topics are covered?
- the primary biology national curriculum - we will explore the themes which run within the curriculum and the progression between year groups
- subject knowledge and practical ideas to teach: animals (classification)
- subject knowledge and practical ideas to teach: habitats (food webs, ecosystems)
- subject knowledge and practical ideas to teach: humans (muscles, skeleton, teeth, digestion and circulation)
- subject knowledge and practical ideas to teach: evolution and inheritance
- children's misconceptions and how to tackle them
How will you learn?
How long is this course?
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- use engaging practical activities to teach biology
- ensure progression of learning across the curriculum
- develop your understanding of the biology within the primary science curriculum