New and aspiring heads of science NY200
New and aspiring heads of science is an intensive, inspirational CPD opportunity to develop the skills and strategies required to lead a science department.
New to the role of head of science or are you ready to take on the challenge and looking to aquire the necessary skills to gain promotion? This course is designed to provide the strategies and techniques you will need to be successful.
This course focuses on four ongoing themes within a science context: strategic leadership and management, leading teams and change, outstanding teaching and learning as well as supporting and enriching learning.
Who is it for?
For teachers new to the role of head of science or for those who are ready to lead a science department.
What topics are covered?
During the course we will cover:
- vision for science teaching
- outstanding teaching and learning
- supporting colleagues
- difficult conversations
- enriching the curriculum
- running effective meetings
- leading change
- different styles of leadership
- assessment for learning
Not sure yet? Here is a free taster which will give you a better understanding of what to expect once you join the course. Please note, this is a free short activity you can do in your own time.
How will you learn?
This course will be delivered face to face with participant tasks to be completed between sessions.
How long is this course?
This is a nine-day intensive residential course broken down into three residential periods of three days each.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- employ a range of methods to strategically lead and manage your science department
- evaluate the skills you have and identify areas you need to develop
- explain what outstanding teaching and learning in science is and use this to provide effective feedback
- employ a range of techniques to enable you to create a high performing team and to develop the members of your team
- articulate how a range of approaches can be employed to support and enrich students' experiences in science
This is a residential course, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.