Teaching primary science: getting started NE708
Get started with practical work in primary science, develop your confidence and explore a range of techniques for working scientifically.
Develop your confidence in doing practical science in the primary classroom. Whether you are new to teaching science, or you are the science subject lead in your school, you will find practical guidance, see how practical science works in the classroom and learn from experienced teachers. This online course has been endorsed by Explorify.
Primary science is the first opportunity to develop your pupils’ curiosity about the world. Studies suggest that by engaging pupils in practical science work frequently, they will have a greater understanding and enjoyment of science.
You will explore a range of practical science techniques, activities and enquiry types and think about the impact they have upon the learning of your pupils.
“This course gave me a wealth of teaching strategies, activity types, and knowledge of how to plan and deliver high-quality STEM lessons.” Primary teacher, UK.
Who is it for?
What topics are covered?
This course covers:
- managing practical science in the primary classroom
- resourcing practical science easily
- identifying types of enquiry
- embedding practical science in planning
- exploring activities which spark curiosity
- developing thinking and reasoning skills
How will you learn?
How long is this course?
- develop confidence in carrying out practical science for 5-11 year olds
- explore ideas for effective practical work in primary science
- recognise the types of enquiry and when to use them
- investigate activities which engage children in learning about science
- create opportunities for developing thinking and reasoning through science