Help! How do I lead primary science? NY076 / D23
Whether you are new to the role of science subject leader or have been the leader for a couple of years, you will be supported to bring about change at a whole school level. You will receive guidance, advice and support to help you understand the role of the subject leader and find out about science in your school. Mapped to the NPQLT framework, the course will provide a solid foundation for those wishing to continue their leadership journey further.
The course explores 5 key themes: what is science like in my school, essential skills for leading primary science, assessment for learning, leading teaching and learning and raising the profile of science. Throughout the course, you will also be provided with the skills and knowledge development to allow you to reflect on and consolidate your role.
Access to a self-paced, online assessment course is also included. This will support you to further develop effective assessment strategies for improving children’s progress in primary science.
Who is it for?
New or recently established science leaders.
What topics are covered?
- strategies to find out what science is like in my school
- health and safety for primary science
- role of the subject leader
- developing an understanding of the Ofsted framework
- understanding and developing working scientifically
- leading change
- assessment for learning
- exploring progression in primary science
- assessing primary science: knowledge and understanding
- assessing primary science: working scientifically
- context based science (with STEM Ambassadors)
- enriching the curriculum to raise the profile of science
- a science capital approach to primary science
How will you learn?
The course will be delivered through a combination of face to face, remote and online sessions.
How long is this course?
2-day face to face residential course
Who is the course leader?
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- develop strategies to establish and embed your school's vision for primary science
- lead improvement in the quality of science teaching and learning within your school
- employ a range of techniques to identify what science is like in your school and effectively plan next steps to develop the members of your team
|Help! How do I lead primary science? - Day 1 (remote)||25 January 2024||09:00-16:00||Colyton Grammar School|
|Help! How do I lead primary science? - Day 2 (face to face)||08 February 2024||09:00-16:00||Colyton Grammar School|
|Help! How do I lead primary science? - Day 3 (face to face)||22 February 2024||09:00-16:00||Colyton Grammar School|
|Help! How do I lead primary science? - Day 4 (remote)||21 March 2024||09:00-16:00||Colyton Grammar School|
This is a residential course, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
Fees & Subsidies
If the course you would like to attend is fully booked, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest in being added to a waiting list. We will contact you when the course is due to run again.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available