Curriculum design for secondary school science NE209 / A23
Online, self-paced course. Participants can start this course at any time after the advertised date.
Discover the key components of a strong secondary school science curriculum. You will compare different styles of schemes of learning, investigate the evidence base behind different approaches and be able to articulate the choices for your own setting and context. Use your scheme of learning to develop approaches to practical work and progression in mathematical skills, and explore how you can plan collaboratively in your department to help quality and consistency. Through our online courses you can enjoy flexible learning, and will be able to refer back to all the course content for 12 months after booking.
“This course has given me much needed food for thought.” Participant, UK
Who is it for?
This course is designed for heads of department, or aspiring heads of department, and teachers with responsibility for curriculum planning in secondary science subjects.
What topics are covered?
This course covers:
- consider how the format you choose for your scheme of learning might make a difference to teaching and learning
- how a scheme of learning can support students who might otherwise have become disengaged with science
- using your scheme of learning to support good practical science
- a backwards planning approach to ensure students can cope with complex experiments
- varied assessment strategies to include in a scheme of learning
- scaffolding progression in mathematical skills, as well as supporting teachers' knowledge and understanding of these skills
- how to decide whether practical demonstrations are appropriate
How will you learn?
This course is not facilitated. You can learn independently or with colleagues to directly address your individual needs.
How long is this course?
This course takes around 9 hours to complete and you do not need to be online at any specific time. You can take the course at your own pace.
Who is the course leader?
This is a self-paced Online Course
The course leader will be introduced in the course.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
identify the key features of an effective science curriculum and scheme of work for students aged 11-19 years.
identify progression routes though science subjects to maximise learning.
evaluate the development of mathematical skills and extended writing across the curriculum.
assess the advantages and disadvantages of different curriculum models for secondary science.
discuss the implications of assessment practices on curriculum planning.
|Curriculum design for secondary school science
|01 September 2023
|State-funded school or college
|Activity fee£50.00 +VAT
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)
|Activity fee£65.00 +VAT
* Your school or college will receive the subsidy on successful completion of the CPD and impact toolkit. Find out more.
Check your school subsidy status
The subsidy value may be higher for your school or college.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available