Adapted teaching and effective learning interventions in secondary computing CA448 / G01
Getting computing education back on track, for all students, is an urgent priority requiring informed planning and implementation. Teaching and learning in computing has been challenging, with some aspects of subject knowledge and skills put under real pressure.
This CPD takes the best evidence and practice for education recovery and applies it to computing, with a spotlight on effective and sustainable approaches to subject-specific challenges and issues. You’ll look at the importance of accurate assessment to inform teaching the curriculum. By applying the science of learning, you’ll develop a plan to fill gaps in knowledge and improve long term recall. To maximise the impact of targeted interventions you’ll consider how to make best use of your own time, and how to use resources including tutoring and teaching assistants. Going beyond subject knowledge to social, emotional and motivational aspects, you’ll gain confidence that your actions support the whole child and lead to lasting success and well-being.
Who is it for?
Teacher and subject leaders of secondary computing
What topics are covered?
- Teaching and curriculum – consider the impact of disruption on learning and long term recall, and strategies to overcome this. Evaluate the curriculum, and core subject knowledge for progression, developing informed plans for curriculum implementation and assessment. Focus efforts on the approaches most likely to benefit students and lead to lasting improvement and engagement.
- Targeted subject knowledge support – reflect upon the range of classroom approaches and resources at your disposal, with guidance to implement those that best meet the needs of your students. Ensure that all students, including those with SEND, and those transitioning between key stages, receive the support they need to succeed. Skilfully use assessment to target and evaluate interventions to maximise the return on your effort.
- Wider strategies – support the academic, emotional and social development of young people through computing lessons and innovative approaches to homework. Engage with parents to maximise progress in partnership. Enrich the computing curriculum, and raise aspiration in computing. Consider the needs of your own school context, and plan to successfully support the education recovery of your students.
How will you learn?
Live, facilitator-led sessions supported by an expert, experienced educator. Guided gap tasks that support deeper exploration of content, with evaluation and prioritisation of approaches to implement in your own school.
How long is this course?
5 hours 20 mins
Who is the course leader?
Facilitator To Be Confirmed
At STEM Learning, we are proud to work alongside teachers, technicians and educators to inspire and engage young people of all ages with STEM...
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- understand the short-term and longer-term impacts of disrupted learning, and how to overcome them with evidence-based approaches
- recognise the impact of curriculum change for education recovery, and make informed curriculum implementation decisions
- know how to use accurate, low-stakes assessment to inform high quality teaching that meets the needs of diverse learners and fills gaps in knowledge
- Efficiently and skilfully utilise the classroom resources available to computing teachers, such as teaching assistants and learning resources, for targeted interventions
|1 Adapted teaching and effective learning interventions in secondary computing||06 June 2022||09:30-11:00||Virtual|
|2 Adapted teaching and effective learning interventions in secondary computing||06 June 2022||11:00-12:18||Virtual|
|4 Adapted teaching and effective learning interventions in secondary computing||06 June 2022||12:48-14:28||Virtual|
Fees & Bursaries
Our remote CPD courses for teachers are delivered across a series of sessions run at specific times and dates. Information on all course sessions can be found under the description of each course. To complete a course, all sessions are mandatory.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available