Maths subject knowledge: understanding number NE207 / B21
Online, self-paced course. Participants can join and start this course at any time after the advertised date. Improve your subject knowledge of numbers as part of the maths curriculum for students aged 11-16 years.
We use numbers every day, but do we really appreciate how they work? There are lots of fascinating connections and patterns to explore once you delve into the mathematical structure of how simple numbers work.
On this course, you will develop an understanding of the underlying mathematical structure of everyday mathematics. You will learn why mathematical methods work and find the connections between different areas of maths so that you can appreciate the interconnected nature of different maths topics.
Who is it for?
What topics are covered?
- the history of numbers and different types of numbers
- working in different number bases
- factors, multiples and prime numbers
- the order in which we perform calculations
- exact answers
- number sequences
How will you learn?
How long is this course?
Who is the course leader?
• Michael Anderson
• Stephen Lyon
• Paula Kelly
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- explore how the number system we use every day actually works
- investigate patterns created when exploring factors of numbers, multiples of numbers and prime factorisation of numbers
- explain when and why two negatives make a positive
- describe the order in which operations are performed
- explore a variety of different number sequences
|Maths subject knowledge: understanding number||03 January 2022||00:00-00:00|
FutureLearn terms and conditions: This course is hosted on the FutureLearn social learning platform and you will need to create an account if you do not already have one.
In addition to STEM Learning Terms and Conditions, by booking on this course you are consenting to FutureLearn’s Terms and Conditions for Invited Learners. By booking onto this course, you agree that your information will be held by FutureLearn and National STEM Learning Centre as data controllers in common, and that by joining the course on FutureLearn your progress will be monitored by STEM Learning.
If you have booked in advance of the course being available, you will receive an email to access the course on FutureLearn no later than the course start date.
|State-funded school or college||Activity fee£84.00 +VAT||Standard bursary available*£0.00|
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)||Activity fee£108.00 +VAT|
* Your school or college will receive the bursary on successful completion of the CPD and impact toolkit. Find out more.
Check your School bursary status
The bursary value may be higher for your school or college.
Find out how our Online CPD works and how to make the most of your online professional development.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available