Hooked on Physics - Remote Package RC298 / B106
Remote learning session 1
Wednesday 2nd February 2022
· Structure of the atom · Plum pudding, Rutherford scattering and Bohr model · Alpha, beta minus, positron, gamma and neutron emission · Background radiation · Uses and dangers of radioactivity · Penetration and ionisation · Half-life · Belt of stability · Nuclear equations
Remote learning session 2
Forces & matter
Wednesday 9th February
· Elastic and inelastic distortion · F=k x x · E=1/2 x k x x2 · Energy stores and pathways · Energy efficiency · Work done AQA 8.2.6 Required practical activity 6 - Investigate the relationship between force and extension for a spring.
Electricity Day 1
Remote learning session 3
Electricity Part 1
Wednesday 2nd March 2022
· Series and parallel circuits · Voltage, current and resistance · Ohm’s law · Resistors in series and parallel · VI graphs (filament lamp, diode and fixed resistor) · Electrical power · Heating effect of an electric current
AQA 8.2.3 Required practical activity 3 - Use circuit diagrams to set up and check appropriate circuits to investigate the factors affecting the resistance of electrical circuits. This should include: · the length of a wire at constant temperature AQA 8.2.4 Required practical activity 4 - Use circuit diagrams to construct appropriate circuits to investigate the I–V characteristics of a variety of circuit elements including a filament lamp and a resistor at constant temp.
Remote learning session 4
Magnetism & electromagnetism Part 1
Wednesday 16th March 2022
· Magnetic fields · Magnetic field created by a current in a long straight conductor · Magnetic field around a solenoid · A current carrying conductor placed near a magnet experiences a force · Fleming’s left-hand rule · F = B I L
Remote learning session 5
Wednesday 23rd March 2022
· Kinetic theory · Density · Doing work on a gas · Specific heat capacity · Specific latent heat AQA 8.2.1 Required practical activity 1 - An investigation to determine the specific heat capacity of one or more materials. The investigation will involve linking the decrease of one energy store (or work done) to the increase in temperature and subsequent increase in thermal energy stored. AQA 8.2.5 Required practical activity 5 - Use appropriate apparatus to make and record the measurements needed to determine the densities of regular and irregular solid objects and liquids. Volume should be determined from the dimensions of a regularly shaped object and by a displacement technique for irregularly shaped objects. Dimensions to be measured using appropriate apparatus such as a ruler, micrometer or Vernier callipers.
Remote learning session 6
Electricity Part 2
Tuesday 5th April 2022
· Making sense of electricity equations · Diodes · Thermistors · Light dependent resistors · Sensor circuits and potential dividers AQA 8.2.3 Required practical activity 3 - Use circuit diagrams to set up and check appropriate circuits to investigate the factors affecting the resistance of electrical circuits. This should include: · combinations of resistors in series and parallel AQA 8.2.4 Required practical activity 4 - Use circuit diagrams to construct appropriate circuits to investigate the I–V characteristics of a variety of circuit elements including a diode.
Remote learning session 7
Magnetism &electromagnetism Part 2
Wednesday 27th April
· Force on a conductor in a magnetic field causes rotation in electric motors · Electromagnetic induction · Lenz’s law · How electromagnetic induction is used in alternators to generate a.c. and in dynamos to generate d.c. · How a loudspeaker works · How a microphone works Transformers
Who is the course leader?
|Conference Day 1 - Forces and Motion||15 December 2021||09:30-17:30||Virtual|
|Remote Learning Session 1 - Radioactivity||02 February 2022||15:30-16:30||Virtual|
|Remote Learning Session 2 - Forces and Motion||09 February 2022||15:30-16:40||Virtual|
|Remote Learning Session 4 - Magnetism and Electromagnetism Part 1||16 February 2022||15:30-16:40||Virtual|
|Remote Learning Session 3 - Electricity Part 1||02 March 2022||15:30-16:40||Virtual|
|Remote Learning Session 5 - Particle Model||23 March 2022||15:30-16:40||Virtual|
|Remote Learning Session 6 - Electricity Part 2||05 April 2022||15:30-16:40||Virtual|
|Remote Learning Session 7 - Magnetism and Electromagnetism Part 2||27 April 2022||15:30-16:40||Virtual|
|Conference Day 2 - Waves||14 July 2022||09:30-15:30||Virtual|
|State-funded school or college||Activity fee£100.00 +VAT|
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)||Activity fee£175.00 +VAT|
Our remote CPD courses for teachers are delivered across a series of sessions run at specific times and dates. Information on all course sessions can be found under the description of each course. To complete a course, all sessions are mandatory.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available