Leading primary computing - remote CA456 / F07
Who is it for?
Subject leaders in primary computing who are new to the role, or who aspire to move into it. You are expected to have some experience of teaching computing in primary school, and an understanding of the content of the National Curriculum for primary computing.
What topics are covered?
- 01 | The role of the computing subject leader – improve understanding of the core role of the subject leader, and recognise variations between schools. Plan to clarify the expectations of the role within one’s own school, working with senior leaders and other stakeholders. Understand the policy role of the subject leader.
- 02 | Developing an outstanding curriculum – understand the aims, and the detail, of the National Curriculum for computing and how this can look in practice. Define the intention of your computing curriculum, and develop a curriculum that meets the needs of learners. Consider the support provided to other teachers, enabling the curriculum to be implemented effectively.
- 03 | Progress and assessment of computing – develop your knowledge of effective assessment practices within computing. Review the expectations for evidence collection taking account of teacher workload and accountability, and learn time-saving ways to evidence progress. Confidently state the case for evidence-based and effective assessment practices in your school, and support other teachers to implement them.
- 04 | Helping others to teach computing effectively – support other teachers, with confidence, in a range of professional development contexts. Provide resources and practices that can be shared easily and effectively to boost the teaching capability of others.
- 05 | Enriching the computing curriculum – discover a range of computing related extra-curricular and enrichment activities. Consider how you will implement those activities that are most suitable for your school. State the case for enrichment and extension activities which will add value and impact on diverse learners.
- 06 | Managing change - Develop a clear vision and plan to achieve the vision for computing in your school. Apply a range of change management techniques to involve the whole school community. Be confident in developing your role as subject leader, and be aware of a range of high quality resources and technology that can help with teaching the curriculum more effectively.
How will you learn?
Facilitator-led CPD with an experienced subject leader, comparing practice and learning strategies that are based in evidence. Flexible implementation and reflection tasks to establish what works in your own context.
How long is this course?
9.5 hours including live sessions and flexible tasks.
Who is the course leader?
Through this CPD you will:
- Improve the computing curriculum offer in your school, and be confident in its purpose and vision.
- Use assessment to better know the strengths of your learners, and know how to adapt teaching to support all children.
- Develop a passion for computing in your school through a planned enrichment and extra-curricular offer.
- Know how to resource teaching by you and your colleagues, drawing on quality-assured lesson materials and evidence-based teaching practices
- Be confident in leading the development of others, helping the whole school to inspire in computing
|1 Leading primary computing (remote)||19 November 2021||09:15-10:15||Virtual|
|3 Leading primary computing (remote)||19 November 2021||11:30-12:30||Virtual|
|5 Leading primary computing (remote)||19 November 2021||14:00-15:00||Virtual|
|7 Leading primary computing (remote)||03 December 2021||09:15-10:15||Virtual|
|9 Leading primary computing (remote)||03 December 2021||11:30-13:00||Virtual|
Fees & Bursaries
Our remote CPD courses for teachers are delivered across a series of sessions run at specific times and dates. Information on all course sessions can be found under the description of each course. To complete a course, all sessions are mandatory.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available