Python programming: working with data - remote CN433 / F02
As you progress beyond the basics of Python programming, this course will help you develop the level of programming skill required for upto GCSE computer science. You’ll go further through the fundamentals of programming, with lots of hands-on experience under the guidance of highly successful teachers of computer science.
During the course you’ll learn about data types, and how data structures are manipulated in Python programs. You’ll create and edit files that can store data for later use, as you begin to develop simple software applications.
New program code almost always contains errors; you’ll become adept at debugging - testing the functionality of your code then identifying and correcting errors.
This course will deepen your knowledge, up to GCSE level which will help boost confidence when teaching key topics to students.
Book now and you will be automatically registered for the scheduled sessions for the course. Remote CPD courses have live, facilitator-led sessions and are not available for instant access. Please refer to the schedule of dates published for each course instance.
Who is it for?
This course is for current or prospective teachers of computer science with some understanding of computer science principles.
You’ll need to be confident in the essentials of sequence, selection and iteration programming constructs to access this course. We recommend the course Python programming constructs – sequencing, selection and iteration.
What does it cost?
This course is fully funded for participants from maintained schools in England. If you are from an independent school or from an organisation outside England, then the course fee is £220.
- 01 | Subroutines - explore the purpose of functions in programming. Learn how local and global variables are used when defining and calling functions in Python.
- 02 | Working with subroutines - develop your own working programs using subroutines.
- 03 | Lists and arrays - discover how lists are used in Python to store data values. Interact with lists using commands such as append & remove. Learn how to create and access a two-dimensional list in Python.
- 04 | Working with lists and arrays - develop your own working programs using lists and arrays.
- 05 | Reading and writing using files - learn how to read and display content from a text file to a user, understand the difference and construct code that will write or append to a text file.
How will you learn?
Scheduled live, interactive online sessions led by an experienced practitioner.
Flexible facilitator-supported, participant-led tasks, involving deep exploration of the subject content.
Do you prefer to learn in a classroom?
If so, take a look at:
How long is the course?
This course is approximately six hours in duration, split across several days.
This course is delivered as part of the National Centre for Computing Education.
Who is the course leader?
- Understand why modular programs are easier to understand, build and maintain.
- Include user-written and built-in functions in programs, passing data between functions and main programs.
- Learn about variable scope and how it affects subroutines and functions.
- Understand the need for structured data, and manipulate simple data in Python lists
- Explain the differences between commonly used file formats, and manipulate their contents using Python code
- Develop confidence in leading your students as they develop their programming skills
|1 Python programming: working with data||28 October 2021||09:30-10:30||Virtual|
|3 Python programming: working with data||28 October 2021||11:00-12:00||Virtual|
|6 Python programming: working with data||28 October 2021||13:00-14:30||Virtual|
Fees & Bursaries
Our remote CPD courses for teachers are delivered across a series of sessions run at specific times and dates. Information on all course sessions can be found under the description of each course. To complete a course, all sessions are mandatory.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available