Python programming constructs: sequencing, selection & iteration - remote CM423 / G05
Take your first steps to becoming a competent teacher of Python programming; this CPD will develop your foundational knowledge around the Python language. Learn how to write code to input, process and output data, and how to manipulate data stored in variables. Using the building blocks of sequence, selection and iteration you’ll begin to understand how programs are constructed to perform a multitude of simple and more complex tasks.
You’ll gain confidence with lots of hands-on experience under the guidance of highly successful teachers of computer science.
Mapped closely to the specifications of GCSE computer science, the course will provide you with essential knowledge leading to expertise in teaching programming.
Book now and you will be automatically registered for the scheduled sessions for the course. Remote CPD courses have live, facilitator-led sessions and are not available for instant access. Please refer to the schedule of dates published for each course instance.
Who is it for?
This course is for current or prospective teachers of computer science with some understanding of computer science fundamentals.
You’ll benefit from having some experience of basic programming, perhaps using a block-based language, to access this GCSE-level subject knowledge enhancement.
If you are entirely new to computer science, we recommend first participating in our one-day course: An introduction to algorithms, programming and data in computer science.
What does it cost?
This course is fully funded for participants from maintained schools in England. If you are from an independent school or from an organisation outside England, then the course fee is £220.
- 01 | Inputs, outputs & variables – explore how to utilise inputs and outputs in Python, including the use of variables and efficient use of simple data types.
- 02 | Building a working program – create a working Python program using inputs, outputs and variables based upon a set of user requirements.
- 03 | Selection – learn how to write branching programs using selection. Understand how to apply operators and use nested selection within a program.
- 04 | Working with selection – create a working Python program using selection and other programming techniques learnt.
- 05 | Iteration – this session will help you create code that repeats using count and condition controlled loops in Python.
How will you learn?
Scheduled live, interactive online sessions led by an experienced practitioner. Flexible facilitator-supported, participant-led sessions, involving deep exploration of the subject content. The course will model teaching approaches that can be taken back to the classroom.
Do you prefer to learn in a classroom?
If so, take a look at:
How long is the course?
This course is approximately 5 hours in duration, split across several days.
This course is delivered as part of the National Centre for Computing Education.
Who is the course leader?
- Become familiar with the Python programming language
- Develop some basic program constructs using variables, handling user input and output to the screen
- Use mathematical and logical operators to build functionality into programs
- Follow the flow of a program, identifying values held in variables at different stages of execution
- Create and control indefinite loop structures in programs
- Begin to evaluate programs and suggest improvements
|1. Python programming constructs: sequencing, selection & iteration||20 October 2021||08:30-10:00||Virtual|
|3. Python programming constructs: sequencing, selection & iteration||20 October 2021||11:00-12:30||Virtual|
|5. Python programming constructs: sequencing, selection & iteration||20 October 2021||13:45-15:15||Virtual|
Fees & Bursaries
Our remote CPD courses for teachers are delivered across a series of sessions run at specific times and dates. Information on all course sessions can be found under the description of each course. To complete a course, all sessions are mandatory.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available