Teaching primary science: chemistry NE005 / A21
Online, self-paced course. Teach primary science effectively by developing your subject knowledge and confidence in science topics. This course will examine key subject knowledge within the chemistry elements of the primary science curriculum. Through the course, we will demonstrate common misconceptions children may have and show how to identify and overcome them.
Who is it for?
What topics are covered?
- why good subject knowledge is essential when teaching primary science.
- developing subject knowledge for the chemistry content of the primary science curriculum.
- understanding children’s misconceptions about chemistry and identifying teaching strategies to identify and overcome them.
- subject knowledge to teach understanding materials and their properties, states of matter, and changes of materials.
How will you learn?
How long is this course?
Who is the course leader?
• Sarah Dagnell
• Karen Brunyee
• Rachel Jackson
- identify the importance of good subject knowledge when teaching primary science
- develop personal subject knowledge of chemistry
- apply subject knowledge of chemistry to class teaching of pupils aged 5-11 years old
- explore practical activities to teach scientific concepts in the primary curriculum
- identify common misconceptions children may have in primary science concepts
- develop teaching strategies to identify and overcome children’s misconceptions
|1 Teaching primary science: chemistry||02 August 2021||00:00-00:00|
FutureLearn terms and conditions: This course is hosted on the FutureLearn social learning platform and you will need to create an account if you do not already have one.
In addition to STEM Learning Terms and Conditions, by booking on this course you are consenting to FutureLearn’s Terms and Conditions for Invited Learners. By booking onto this course, you agree that your information will be held by FutureLearn and National STEM Learning Centre as data controllers in common, and that by joining the course on FutureLearn your progress will be monitored by STEM Learning.
If you have booked in advance of the course being available, you will receive an email to access the course on FutureLearn no later than the course start date.
|State-funded school or college||Activity fee£90.00 +VAT||Standard bursary available*£0.00|
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)||Activity fee£112.50 +VAT|
* Your school or college will receive the bursary on successful completion of the CPD and impact toolkit. Find out more.
Check your School bursary status
The bursary value may be higher for your school or college.
Find out how our Online CPD works and how to make the most of your online professional development.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available