An Introduction to algorithms, programming and data in computer science - remote CL428 / E04
Take your first steps towards teaching computer science and establish a foundational knowledge of concepts, terminology and classroom practice. Find out how algorithms are designed and how programs are written to provide clear instructions to machines. Learn about the binary system used by computers to store and process data, and how to convert to and from the familiar denary system of numbers zero to nine.Create some simple block-based computer programs and discover how to implement them using the Python programming language. Use your knowledge to write programs that can handle user input and manipulate variable values before outputting simple messages to the screen.Book now and you will be automatically registered for the scheduled sessions for the course. Remote CPD courses have live, facilitator-led sessions and are not available for instant access. Please refer to the schedule of dates published for each course instance.
Who is it for?
This course is for prospective teachers of computer science who may be new to the subject, or who may teach computing in earlier years.
No prior experience or knowledge of computer science is expected before attending this course. It is advised that you become familiar with the
- Learn about algorithms, how they are usually represented, and some of their most common applications
- Understand how human-language algorithms are translated through computer programs into binary, to be executed by a computer
- Recognise and use the basic building blocks of programming: sequence, selection and repetition
- Understand how binary, denary and hexadecimal are used to represent numbers, and why this is important for computer science
- Develop basic programming skills using block-based and text-based languages
- Develop confidence in subject knowledge, ready to progress further towards becoming a GCSE computer science teacher.
|1 Introduction to algorithms, programming and data in GCSE computer science||10 May 2021||16:00-17:00|
|3 Introduction to algorithms, programming and data in GCSE computer science||12 May 2021||16:00-17:00|
|6 Introduction to algorithms, programming and data in GCSE computer science||17 May 2021||16:00-17:00|
Fees & Bursaries
Our remote CPD courses for teachers are delivered across a series of sessions run at specific times and dates. Information on all course sessions can be found under the description of each course. To complete a course, all sessions are mandatory.
Interested In this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available