UPGRADE OFFER: Maths: Graphs, functions and solving equations graphically NE212 / B20
Online course. Improve your subject knowledge of graphs and functions to develop your teaching approaches.
How would you explain the difference between linear and quadratic relationships? Can you use function notation to describe the transformation of graphs?
In this course, designed as subject knowledge enhancement for teachers, you will explore the topics of graphs and functions as part of the algebra curriculum for mathematics. Led by experienced teachers, you will make links between different mathematical topics and develop an understanding of why methods work in addition to how they work.
You will watch demonstrations of teaching approaches, unpick the underlying mathematics behind graphs and build your confidence in these topics. Throughout, you will have access to worksheets to check your understanding and learn approaches to creating graphs using online applications.
Join this course
Book onto our Maths Subject Knowledge: Graphs, Functions and Solving Equations Graphically online course through the STEM Learning website and you can purchase an upgrade for only £30 +VAT. You will get unlimited access to the course and recognition with a STEM certificate on successful completion.
Usual upgrade price is £62 on FutureLearn.
Join on FutureLearn for free to get time-limited access without a certificate.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed specifically for teachers and educators who do not have a specialism in mathematics, but wish to learn mathematical methods and improve their understanding. This course is suitable for:
· New teachers, student teachers or people just about to start their teaching career who are interested in increasing their mathematical subject knowledge.
· Inexperienced teachers of mathematics for whom mathematics was not a major part of their degree.
· Non-specialist teachers of mathematics whose expertise lies elsewhere.
· Teachers of science.
· Teachers of technology, engineering and other related subjects.
· Parents wishing to support their children.
What topics are covered?
This four week course covers:
· The link between displaying the input and output of a function machine, as a table of results, a mapping and a graph.
· The nature and qualities of a linear relationship and a quadratic relationship.
· The application of graphs to finding approximate solutions to equations.
· Function notation and its use in describing transformations of graphs.
This course takes around three hours per week to complete and you do not need to be online at any specific time. This course will be facilitated in course discussions between 18 January 2021 – 14 March 2021.
- Reflect upon your current understanding of the basics of graphs and appreciate why graphs are important in representing connections between variables
- Develop fluency in the nature and qualities of a linear relationship
- Develop fluency in the nature and qualities of a quadratic relationship
- Apply the use of graphs to display situations, find connections and solve problems
- Investigate how function notation can be used to describe transformations of graphs
|Maths subject knowledge: graphs, functions and solving equations graphically||04 January 2021||00:00-00:00|
This course is hosted on the FutureLearn social learning platform. The email address you give when you apply will be used to send you joining instructions and information about your course. Please make sure you can be contacted directly with this email address. You will be asked to create a FutureLearn account with the same email address you register, if you do not already have one.
In addition to , by booking on this course you are consenting to your details being shared with FutureLearn under their . By booking onto this course, you agree that your information will be held by FutureLearn and National STEM Learning Centre as data controllers in common, and your progress on this course will be monitored by STEM Learning.
If you have booked in advance of the course being available, you will receive access to the course on FutureLearn no later than the course start date.
* Your school or college will receive the bursary on successful completion of the CPD and impact toolkit. Find out more.
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)||Activity fee£30.00 +VAT|
|State-funded school or college||Activity fee£30.00 +VAT||Standard bursary available*£0.00|
Check your School bursary status
The bursary value may be higher for your school or college.
Find out how our Online CPD works and how to make the most of your online professional development.
Interested In this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available