Fundamentals of computer networks - remote CB422 / D09
Computer networks exist all around us. During the course, you will demystify the hardware and network topologies used for data transfer between computers and help you make topic learning relevant and engaging to students.
Learn how computers of all shapes and sizes are connected physically, or wirelessly, and how this arrangement affects how data is shared. Switches, routers and other network components will be fully explained, helping you understand how data is moved around in packets.
Mapped closely to the specifications of GCSE computer science, the course will provide you with deepened knowledge and confidence that your students are equipped for their exams.
Book now and you will be automatically registered for the scheduled sessions for the course. Remote CPD courses have live, facilitator-led sessions and are not available for instant access. Please refer to the schedule of dates published for each course instance.
Who is it for?
This course is for current or prospective teachers of GCSE computer science with some understanding of computer science principles.
You’ll need to know some basic concepts and terminology to access this GCSE-level subject knowledge enhancement. If you are entirely new to computer science, we recommend first participating in our one-day course, An introduction to computer systems, networking and security in GCSE computer science.
What does it cost?
This course is fully funded for participants from maintained schools in England. If you are from an independent school or from an organisation outside England, then the course fee is £220.
- 01 | Reasons to network & hardware – step into networking and explore the reasons networks exist including the benefits of using networked computers. Explore the different hardware that is required when building a network including routers, switches and hubs.
- 02 | Network types - Consider the different types of network and their characteristics including personal, local and wide-area networks.
- 03 | Topologies - examine the different network topologies required at GCSE level including ring, bus, star and mesh networks.
- 04 | Topologies in action – explore network topologies in further detail, compare the characteristics including how data is transmitted and suggest topologies for given scenarios.
- 05 | Data transfer – explore how data is transmitted across a network in the form of packets, understand why files are broken down and the purpose of packet switching.
- 06 | Transmission and media – explore how data is transferred using wired and wireless networks including understanding the use of data frequencies and Wi-Fi channels. Consider the importance of encryption when using Wi-Fi and the factors that can limit a Wi-Fi.
How will you learn?
Scheduled live, interactive online sessions led by an experienced practitioner. Flexible facilitator-supported, participant-led sessions, involving deep exploration of the subject content.
Do you prefer to learn in a classroom?
If so, take a look at:
How long is the course?
This course is approximately 5 hours in duration, split across several days.
This course is delivered as part of the National Centre for Computing Education.
- Understand the main reasons why computers are connected to share data.
- Know the layout and key hardware devices in networks for GCSE computer science.
- Understand the different transmission methods used when networking, including the characteristics of different wired methods and Wi-Fi.
|Fundamentals of computer networks||30 November 2020||16:00-17:00|
|Fundamentals of computer networks||07 December 2020||16:00-17:00|
|Fundamentals of computer networks||14 December 2020||16:00-16:30|
|Fundamentals of computer networks||14 December 2020||16:31-17:00|
Our remote CPD courses for teachers are delivered across a series of sessions run at specific times and dates. Information on all course sessions can be found under the description of each course. To complete a course, all sessions are mandatory.
Interested In this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available