UPGRADE OFFER: Maths subject knowledge: proportional reasoning NE204 / A20
Online course. Proportional reasoning, and the use of ratios, is required across different areas of the mathematics curriculum. It is essential to many areas of science and technology and is used in a range of real-world situations in both life and work.
On this self-paced, online subject knowledge course, we explore a number of different mathematical strategies to enable you to solve proportional reasoning problems. Discover how seemingly unrelated mathematical problems are related to the same underlying structure. Understand how being fluent in the ideas of proportional reasoning opens the door to a deeper understanding of the rules and procedures involved, and how these methods work.
By participating in this online course you will discover multiplicative reasoning strategies, links between ratio and proportion and the ability to scale things up and to scale things down.
Join this course
Book onto our Maths: Proportion, ratio and scaling online course through the STEM Learning website and you can purchase an upgrade for only £30 +VAT. You will get unlimited access to the course and recognition with a STEM certificate on successful completion.
Usual upgrade price is £62 on FutureLearn.
Join on FutureLearn for free to get time-limited access without a certificate.
This course is aimed at:
- new teachers, student teachers or people just about to start their teaching career who are interested in increasing their mathematical subject knowledge
- inexperienced teachers of mathematics for whom mathematics was not a major part of their degree
- non-specialist teachers of mathematics whose expertise lies elsewhere
- teachers of science
- teachers of technology, engineering and other related subjects
- parents wishing to support their children
What subjects are covered on the course?
- Proportional reasoning.
- Applications of proportional reasoning.
- Taking proportional reasoning further.
This course takes around three hours per week to complete and you do not need to be online at any specific time.
This course started on 5 October 2020, but is still available to join now. You can participate on your own or with colleagues, drawing upon contributions made by other participants and our course mentors.
You will be able to:
- identify problems that can be solved using proportional reasoning
- solve problems of scaling up and scaling down using the unitary method
- solve problems of ratio with two and three quantities
- apply proportional reasoning to conversion and compound measure problems
- apply proportional reasoning to scaling of area and volume
|Maths subject knowledge: proportional reasoning||19 October 2020||00:00-00:00|
This course is hosted on the FutureLearn social learning platform. The email address you give when you apply will be used to send you joining instructions and information about your course. Please make sure you can be contacted directly with this email address. You will be asked to create a FutureLearn account with the same email address you register, if you do not already have one.
In addition to STEM Learning Terms and Conditions, by booking on this course you are consenting to your details being shared with FutureLearn under their Terms and Conditions for Invited Learners. By booking onto this course, you agree that your information will be held by FutureLearn and National STEM Learning Centre as data controllers in common, and your progress on this course will be monitored by STEM Learning.
If you have booked in advance of the course being available, you will receive access to the course on FutureLearn no later than the course start date.
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)||Activity fee£30.00 +VAT|
|State-funded school or college||Activity fee£30.00 +VAT|
Participants from outside the UK will be charged the course fee and an additional £120 per day plus VAT.
Find out how our Online CPD works and how to make the most of your online professional development.
Interested In this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available