Entry level mouse genetics for animal technicians and early career researchers HC554 / G02
*This is a two day course - 14th October - 15th October*
This course is aimed at technical staff, students and researchers new to the field of mouse genetics. It covers the fundamental genetic knowledge required when working with genetically altered mice. This includes training in Mendelian gene inheritance, breeding plans, dominant and recessive alleles and mouse genetic backgrounds.
We will also cover aspects of more complex genetics including multiple allele crosses, integrity of genetic backgrounds and overviews on establishing new genetically altered lines. This is intended to inform breeding strategies and calculations rather than give a complete guide to the molecular biology.
Teaching is delivered via seminars and interactive workshops. It includes worked examples and practical sessions on how to plan, predict and interpret mouse genotypes from standard laboratory crosses or genetically altered mouse lines.
The outcomes of this course are:
- An understanding of Mendelian gene inheritance
- An ability to predict the outcomes of genetic crosses
- A working knowledge of the genetic background of mouse strains
- An understanding of how to maintain the genetic integrity of inbred lines
- The ability to plan breeding schemes
- The ability to perform multiple allele inheritance calculations
- An understanding of how Genetically Altered lines can be established from modern transgenic technologies
|Entry level mouse genetics for animal technicians and early career researchers||14 October 2019||09:30-16:00||Medical Research Council|
|heated member||Activity fee£330.00 +VAT|
|heated non-member||Activity fee£360.00 +VAT|
Participants from outside the UK will be charged the course fee and an additional £120 per day plus VAT.
For courses at the National STEM Learning Centre in York, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available