Advanced mouse genetics for colony managers and researchers HC555 / G02
*This is a two day course 24th October - 25th October*
The basis of genetic integrity and reproducibility in using genetically altered mouse strains for experimentation is the foundation of this course.
Teaching will include the fundamentals of transgenesis, aspects of more complex genetics including multiple allele crosses, integrity of genetic backgrounds and overviews on establishing new genetically altered lines. This is intended to inform breeding strategies and experimental design rather than give a complete guide to the molecular biology.
This course will also explain the basic concept of conditional transgenesis. We will discuss the advantages and challenges of using such systems. We will examine how to plan breeding schemes, how to identify appropriate controls and analyse recombinase expression.
Teaching is delivered via seminars and interactive workshops. It includes worked examples and practical sessions on how to plan, predict and interpret mouse genotypes from standard laboratory crosses or genetically altered mouse lines.
- The ability to predict the outcomes of genetic crosses
- An understanding of the fundamentals of mouse genetic engineering
- A working knowledge of the genetic background of mouse strains
- An understanding of how to maintain the genetic integrity of inbred lines
- The ability to perform multiple allele inheritance calculations
- An understanding of how Genetically Altered lines can be established from modern transgenic technologies
- An understanding of the basic principles of conditional mutagenesis
- Practical experience in setting up breeding programmes for conditional mutagenesis, including the choice of appropriate control cohorts
|Advanced mouse genetics for colony managers and researchers||24 October 2019||09:30-16:00||Medical Research Council|
|heated member||Activity fee£330.00 +VAT|
|heated non-member||Activity fee£360.00 +VAT|
Participants from outside the UK will be charged the course fee and an additional £120 per day plus VAT.
For courses at the National STEM Learning Centre in York, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available