Maths subject knowledge: proportional reasoning NE204 / A19
Proportional reasoning, and the use of ratios, is required across different areas of the mathematics curriculum. It is essential to many areas of science and technology and is used in a range of real-world situations in both life and work.
On this self-paced, online subject knowledge course, we explore a number of different mathematical strategies to enable you to solve proportional reasoning problems. Discover how seemingly unrelated mathematical problems are related to the same underlying structure. Understand how being fluent in the ideas of proportional reasoning opens the door to a deeper understanding of the rules and procedures involved, and how these methods work.
By participating in this online course you will discover multiplicative reasoning strategies, links between ratio and proportion and the ability to scale things up and to scale things down.
This course is aimed at:
- new teachers, student teachers or people just about to start their teaching career who are interested in increasing their mathematical subject knowledge
- inexperienced teachers of mathematics for whom mathematics was not a major part of their degree
- non-specialist teachers of mathematics whose expertise lies elsewhere
- teachers of science
- teachers of technology, engineering and other related subjects
- parents wishing to support their children
You will be able to:
- identify problems that can be solved using proportional reasoning
- solve problems of scaling up and scaling down using the unitary method
- solve problems of ratio with two and three quantities
- apply proportional reasoning to conversion and compound measure problems
- apply proportional reasoning to scaling of area and volume
|State-funded school or college||Activity feeFree|
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)||Activity feeFree|
Check your School bursary status
The bursary value may be higher for your school or college.
Can we help?
If you have any questions about our bursaries or this booking call us on 01904 326394
Interested In this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available