From a different angle... Celebrating the diversity of technical careers in STEM - network event HE001 / E04
This regional event is suitable for anyone who has a role in a technical environment in STEM. The programme aims to inspire participants with the ideas and knowledge to consider the diversity of career routes of technical staff in STEM subjects. This one day event will focus on the differing career paths for technicians and will also include tours of the facilities managed and maintained by Cranfield University technicians.
Venue: Stafford Cripps, Cranfield University. For directions, click here.
10:15 Arrival and refreshments
10:30 Welcome and housekeeping
10:45 Introduction and welcome to Cranfield - A formal welcome from Professor Phil John, Pro-Vice Chancellor of the School of Aerospace, Transport and Manufacturing
11:00 Key note speech - TBC
12:00 Tour of Cranfield facilities (1) - Delegates will be able to visit one of the below facilities during the tour.
- Aircraft Integration Research Centre – this new facility is a space which fosters collaboration between industry and academia and provides capabilities comparable with the leading aerospace facilities across Europe and the World.
- Biomass Boiler – our Biomass Boiler and boiler room supports both or teaching and research on campus. It was delivered at the beginning of November 2014 and is exclusively fuelled by woodchip, has a 1MW thermal output. It contributes significantly to the delivery of our carbon reduction target and supports our Carbon Management Plan.
- Plant Science Laboratory - Established in 2002 the lab has continued to grow with a national and international reputation and one of the largest centres for research, consultancy and education in post-harvest biology and technology of fresh produce in Europe. The Plant Science Laboratory comprise a suite of controlled environment rooms and controlled atmosphere chambers. We have a research glasshouse (230m2 with full light, day length and temperature control). We also have excellent facilities for analytical biochemistry/metabolomics, molecular biology, mycology and general microbiology.
- Coatings Laboratory and Analytical Facility – The coatings process technology we use includes the use of Physical Vapour Deposition (PVD), Chemical Vapour Deposition (CVD), electroplating and plasma spray (LVPS).The centre is particularly specialised in high temperature components. Our analytical facility includes 2 scanning electron microscopes (EDX and EBSD capabilities), 2 x-ray diffractometers (one specifically for stress measurement), a scanning probe microscope, a nanoindentor, a focussed ion beam and a transmission electron microscope.
13:00 Networking lunch and showcase - Time to network with your colleagues and browse our showcase which includes:
- stands highlighting the work of our technicians
- meet our apprentices and hear about the work they are involved in
- talk with the Science Council about professional registration
- view some of our equipment including a F1 Race car which is used for teaching and research purposes
- take part in our microscopy picture competition
- HEaTED update
13:45 Tour of Cranfield facilities (2) - Delegates will be able to visit another one of the facilities during the tour.
14:25 From technicians to... - This talking heads session will consist of short presentations from a panel who have been technicians and have diversified their careers in different ways. Delegates will get the opportunity to ask questions about their careers and the challenges they have overcome.
15:15 Close and final words
The outcomes of this programme are:
- to provide the thought and insight into different career paths for technicians
- case studies of how technicians have diversified their careers
- to provide insight on overcoming challenges and pitfalls
- to create a supportive and effective space to network and learn from each other
|From a different angle... Celebrating the diversity of technical careers in STEM - network event||12 July 2017||10:30-15:30||Cranfield University|
Lunch and refreshments are provided.
|heated member||Activity feeFree|
|heated non-member||Activity fee£100.00 +VAT|
Participants from outside the UK will be charged the course fee and an additional £120 per day plus VAT.
For courses at the National STEM Learning Centre in York, fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available