In this activity children are challenged to design and make a robotic arm to grab things from a distance. The challenge is based on robotic arms on the International Space Station used to move heavy equipment or perform delicate tasks. Children will:
• discover relationships between the length of a robotic arm and the level of difficulty to grab objects
• investigate importance of hinges in arm function
• collaborate with each other in designing an arm
• test various materials for grippers end effectors
• compare and modify designs based on how well they meet performance criteria and constraints.
Engineering design and teamwork