I'm a Scientist, Get me out of here!
I’m a Scientist, Get me out of here! is a free, online event where school students get to meet and interact with real scientists.
Students login during a 2 week period to ASK the scientists anything they like. Students challenge the scientists over a fast-paced online live CHAT during a lesson.
The event is a competition between scientists and the students are the judges; students VOTE for their favourite scientist to win the event.
All resources and support are provided for teachers to facilitate this event. It's student-led nature makes it appropriate for students of all abilities from Year 5-13.
- learn about working scientifically, ethics, and science in society
- develop confidence in their ability to talk about science as they ask questions
- learn new science content from scientists' answers
- have improved attitudes towards science
- have improved attitudes about scientists based on their direct interactions with the scientists
- learn about scientists’ interests, likes and dislikes, and find areas in common
- understand individual scientists’ motivations and achievements
- become more aware of careers in science & may discover future career options
- develop in SMSC
Grants for school
The Royal Institution runs two enrichment and enhancement grant schemes. Grants of up to £500 are available to UK-registered state schools to host a STEM activity selected from the STEM Directory.
There are a number of other organisations that offer grants to schools.
|Published||11 October 2017|
|Last modified||11 October 2017|
|Nature of scheme||Project for students|
|Subject(s)||Careers, Psychology, Science, Biology, Physics, Working scientifically, Chemistry|
|Age||5-7, 7-11, 11-14, 14-16, 16-19|
|Running times||1-4 hours|
I'm a Scientist is funded by a number of partners to keep it free for state-maintained schools.