Over 30,000 STEM Ambassadors, from 17-70 years old, from over 2,500 different employers, volunteer their time, enthusiasm and experiences to encourage and inspire young people to achieve more and progress further in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
Amongst many other backgrounds and professions, our STEM Ambassadors include: apprentices, zoologists, set designers, climate change scientists, engineers of all disciplines, farmers, designers, geologists, nuclear physicists, architects, physicists, ice core chemistry technicians, pharmacists and energy analysts.
STEM Ambassadors are able to enhance and enrich the teaching and learning of STEM subjects by sharing their own interest, skills and experience in STEM.
What does being a STEM Ambassador involve?
As a STEM Ambassador, you can get involved in a wide variety of activities, all of which can have an impact on young people’s learning and enjoyment of STEM subjects, including:
- supporting with lessons by bringing real-world problems for pupils to experience and solve
- giving careers talks or helping at careers fairs
- providing technical advice to teachers or practical support to STEM projects in and outside the classroom
- helping schools make connections with employers and industry resources
- working with governors to help improve the way STEM is delivered within a school
We will support you to become an effective part of our nationwide volunteer network. We have learning and development opportunities and resources available giving you the tools and inspiration you need to get the most out of the programme and to ensure you have the maximum impact on those you engage with.
Why become a STEM Ambassador?
Being a STEM Ambassador is about engaging and enthusing young people with STEM subjects. You will help encourage students to consider further study of STEM subjects and progression into related careers, inspiring the next generation of STEM professionals. It offers the chance to give something back to education and the wider community, whilst giving you the chance to develop your own skills and improve yourself.
“Being a STEM Ambassador is probably the most satisfying aspect of my career. Inspiring kids for the future is the pinnacle of what’s possible and it’s tremendous fun too!”
Derek Langley, Product Manager, Thales
How you can join
- Offer the chance to give something back to education and the wider community, whilst giving you the chance to develop your own skills and improve yourself.
Become a STEM Ambassador
training and development for stem ambassadors
- Access training to support and develop you in your role as a STEM Ambassador.