Making rocks by heating
These diagnostic questions and response activities (contained in the zip file) support students in being able to:
- Describe the temperatures needed to melt rock.
- Describe where on the Earth there are conditions that melt rock.
- Describe how the size of crystals in igneous rock depend on the speed molten rock cooled to form it.
- Explain how different types of igneous rocks form.
- Explain what happens to igneous rock at very, very high pressures and temperatures.
The resources include details of common misconceptions and a summary of the research upon which the resources are based.
Download the zip file for all the questions and activities.
More resources like this can be found on the BEST webpage: Best Evidence in Science Teaching