Floating, sinking and density
These diagnostic questions and response activities (contained in the zip file) support students in being able to:
- Identify objects that are floating.
- Describe how the mass and volume of an object affect how well it floats.
- Describe how the shape of an object affects how well it floats.
- Explain how the density of an object determines how well it floats.
- Explain how the density of a liquid (or gas) determines how well objects float in it.
The resources include details of common misconceptions and a summary of the research upon which the resources are based.
Download the zip file for all the questions and activities.
More resources like this can be found on the BEST webpage: Best Evidence in Science Teaching
Show health and safety information
Please be aware that resources have been published on the website in the form that they were originally supplied. This means that procedures reflect general practice and standards applicable at the time resources were produced and cannot be assumed to be acceptable today. Website users are fully responsible for ensuring that any activity, including practical work, which they carry out is in accordance with current regulations related to health and safety and that an appropriate risk assessment has been carried out.