Birds' eggs: scatter diagrams (14-16)
This task assesses scatter diagrams and lines of best fit.
A scatter diagram is shown of the length and width of birds eggs. There follows a series of five short tasks on:
- Plotting an additional data point
- Making a statement about correlation
- Making an estimate of width from a given length
- Describing differences between two data points
- Interpreting information from the diagram by using ratios
This task is from the Mathematics Assessment Resource Service, a collaboration between UC Berkeley and the Shell Centre team at the University of Nottingham. A full rubric is given for the task, together with examples of student work and suggestions for helping students overcome misconceptions. Further information on the collection is given here.