LAMP Topic Brief 6: Gardening
This unit was developed in 1977 from work carried out in establishing an outdoor resource area within the grounds of a large urban comprehensive school. During the course of its development, the unit was used with lower ability students in the 14 to 16 years age range, forming one six week section of a modular science course.
The activities allowed students to:
• Use tools to improve soil structure and handle plants.
• Use organic and inorganic additives to improve soil.
• State the basic mineral requirements of plants.
• Recognise different plant types, for example annuals and perennials.
• Describe, in simple terms, the relationships between plants and climate.
• Describe, in simple terms, the inter-relationship between animals and plants in a British garden.
• Propagate plants from seed, by cuttings and by division.