STFC Lunar Rocks and Meteorites Loan Scheme: Secondary Resources
The STFC Lunar Rocks and Meteorites Loan Scheme has been running since the mid 1980s. It has lent the NASA Moon rock discs and meteorites to thousands of schools, museums and outreach organisers. The collection has been produced by the ASE with the University of Manchester, Millgate House Education, the Natural History Museum and ESERO UK.
These resources are aimed at Key Stage Three to Five. They can be used either independently or in conjunction with the STFC loan kits.
* Gloopy liquids: This activity links to the formation of rocky bodies within the solar system and the process of ‘differentiation’ into layers caused by the pull of gravity on minerals of different density in a molten state.
* Rock density: To study the variation in density of different rocks and propose a theory about the differentiation of minerals in the molten stages of a planetary body.
* Fiery Moon: Lunar volcanic processes and the difference in geological effects caused by low gravity, low lava viscosity and absence of atmosphere.
* Shiny rocks: Investigating the periodic variation in reflectance from a body rotating in space.
* Dating the Moon: Learning how crater observation and radioactive isotope measurements can be used to date rocks and how radioactive decay can be modelled using dice.
The teachers’ planning pack includes notes on all the activities.
Show health and safety information
Please be aware that resources have been published on the website in the form that they were originally supplied. This means that procedures reflect general practice and standards applicable at the time resources were produced and cannot be assumed to be acceptable today. Website users are fully responsible for ensuring that any activity, including practical work, which they carry out is in accordance with current regulations related to health and safety and that an appropriate risk assessment has been carried out.
You might also like
|Subject(s)||Physics, Earth science, Chemistry, Practical work, Science|
|Age||11-14, 14-16, 16-19|
|Published||2010 to date|
Share this resource
This resource is part of these collections
- STFC Lunar Rocks and Meteorites Loan Scheme: Secondary Resources