Mini-course 4: Batches - Facts About Food
This mini-course from the Nuffield Exploratory Data Skills Project: Making Sense of Data is about looking at, analysing and comparing batches of data. In this mini-course students should learn how to:
• look at a batch in terms of level, spread, distribution and outliers
• make a dotplot
• make a stem and leaf plot
• find the median, hinges and H-spread of a batch
• make a box and whisker plot
• identify outliers on a box and whisker plot
• makes a histogram, on a suitable scale with a suitable number of bins
• compare batches for level and variability (spread)
• compare level and spread using a box and whisker plot
• compare distributions using histograms
• see skew in a histogram or a box and whisker plot
The mini-course consists of six units
How much energy? will be necessary to remind students of the importance of looking at the data by eye before starting to make pictures or choose techniques.
Carbohydrates introduces stem and leaf plots, and will be required if these are not already known. It also introduces the median, hinges and H-spread as measures of level and spread.
Vitamins and minerals uses median and hinges to show how to make box and whisker plots
How much water? uses the stem and leaf idea to introduce histograms.
Comparing Calories uses both box and whisker plots and histograms to compare batches.
How much choice do you have? looks at differences in distribution.
The teacher guide gives an overview of the mini-course.
Show health and safety information
Please be aware that resources have been published on the website in the form that they were originally supplied. This means that procedures reflect general practice and standards applicable at the time resources were produced and cannot be assumed to be acceptable today. Website users are fully responsible for ensuring that any activity, including practical work, which they carry out is in accordance with current regulations related to health and safety and that an appropriate risk assessment has been carried out.
You might also like
|Published||1990 - 1999|
Share this resource
This resource is part of Making Sense of Data: Nuffield Exploratory Data Skills Project
- Making Sense of Data: Nuffield Exploratory Data Skills Project
- Mini-course 4: Batches - Facts About Food