Produced in 1979 by the Institute of Biology as part of its Studies in Biology series, this booklet looks at the biological rhythms that influence the activities of living organisms.
The booklet contains sections that look at topics including:
* Types of biological clock
* Daily, tidal, lunar and annual rhythms
* Evidence for exogenous and endogenous control
* Circadian rhythms
* Celestial navigation and continuously consulted clocks (‘time sense’)
* Photoperiodism or seasonal timing
* Biological clock mechanisms
Show health and safety information
Please be aware that resources have been published on the website in the form that they were originally supplied. This means that procedures reflect general practice and standards applicable at the time resources were produced and cannot be assumed to be acceptable today. Website users are fully responsible for ensuring that any activity, including practical work, which they carry out is in accordance with current regulations related to health and safety and that an appropriate risk assessment has been carried out.