LSS Skill Area 3 Training: Scientific Reading
Produced by the Science Enhancement Programme (SEP), these materials are aimed at facilitators who are preparing to lead Learning Skills for Science (LSS) training courses with colleagues. This resource looks at the training connected to skills in scientific reading. The trainers' manual and supporting presentations are included.
Following the training, teachers will:
• Be familiar with the LSS resources for ‘Scientific Reading’.
• Have a range of strategies to plan, differentiate, teach and assess the skills required for
scientific reading in the Secondary classroom.
• Be able to describe methods of sorting and choosing scientific articles.
• Know techniques for reading scientific articles.
• Understand the differences between skimming and in-depth reading.
• Have developed methods of information representation (verbal and visual).