This learning episode, from the Institute of Physics, introduces field strength and potential energy for electric fields. Comparisons with gravitational fields are also made.
The activities include:
* discussion of field strength
* worked examples on field strength
* discussion about potential energy and potential
* demonstration of potential around a charged sphere
* field strength and potential gradient
* worked examples on non-uniform electric fields
Show health and safety information
Please be aware that resources have been published on the website in the form that they were originally supplied. This means that procedures reflect general practice and standards applicable at the time resources were produced and cannot be assumed to be acceptable today. Website users are fully responsible for ensuring that any activity, including practical work, which they carry out is in accordance with current regulations related to health and safety and that an appropriate risk assessment has been carried out.