Written by F.C. Brown and published by the English Universities Press, this book contains guidance on how to carry out a number of laboratory experiments in which colour plays an essential part.
The activities look at extracting and using dyes, in making pigments, turning them into paints and using these paints. Other investigations help students to understand the reactions, the tests and the techniques being employed.
The materials include teacher guidance and the instructions necessary to perform the practical activities. The topics covered are:
• using pH-paper
• pH-values and buffer solutions
• coloured ions in solution
• using ion-exchange resins
• natural dyes
• preparing a synthetic dye
• anodising and colouring aluminium
• pigments and paints
• preparing paints and pigments