Episode 115: Energy and Power
In these activities, from the Institute of Physics, the concept of electrical power is explored. Students find that the energy transferred by an electrical component depends on the potential difference, current and the time for which it operates.
The activities include:
• demonstrating energy use with a lamp and joule meter
• looking at equations and SI units for power
• investigating the power of a filament lamp at different potential differences
• calculating the appropriate fuses for appliances of different power ratings
• calculations relating to a range of bulbs