Episode 104: Drift Velocity
From the Institute of Physics, this learning episode shows that charge carriers in good conductors usually move very slowly. It illustrates the derivation and use of the equation I = nAvq.
A range of activities include:
• viewing the movement of permanganate ions in an electric field
• estimating the drift velocity of permanganate ions (of the order of mm/minute) to illustrate the slow progress of the ions
• derivation of I = nAvq from experimental observations
• worked example of using I = nAvq
• student questions with solutions provided