From the Nuffield Foundation, the purpose of this module is to introduce students to the solution of simultaneous equations and demonstrates a rather unusual way of approaching the topic. The equations are largely restricted to equations where the coefficients are +/- 1 to achieve some simplicity in the algebra with sometimes more than two unknowns.
The resource includes:
• Introduction for the teacher which outlines the development of the material
• Worksheet 1: becoming familiar with relationships such as adding and subtracting directed numbers in algebraic form
• Worksheet 2: detailed exposition of the graphical solution of a pair of simple linear equations
• Worksheet 3: extension of methods from Worksheet 1 to 3 variables
• Worksheet 4: solving simple arithmograms where sums of adjacent pairs are given.