Health care and medicine
The resources in this collection provide guidance on practicals, study sheets and classroom activities which were produced to support the teaching of Applied Science specifications. Topics include:
- Comparing thermometers or blood pressure monitor
- Investigating thermography
- Investigating the Wisconsin card sorting test
- Investigating X-rays
- Lung function testing
- Microbiology and the pathology service
- Oral glucose tolerance test
- Researching and planning bioassays
- Researching and planning chemical assays
- Using blood pressure monitors
- Wisconsin card sorting test correlational studies
This A2 level Applied Science resource guides students to research, select and use bioassay techniques to investigate the action and potency of common medicines. There are suggested methods to select from and adapt, questions to research and guidance on risk assessment that needs to take place.
This A2 level Applied Science resource guides students to research, select and use quantitative chemical analysis techniques to assay the active ingredient of common medicines. There are suggested methods to select from, questions and guided steps for calculations involved. The resource also contains student sheets...
These activities provide the standard procedures for methods which may be employed to measure blood pressure at the beginning and end of a fitness programme. Methods are provided for automatic digital devices, for using a manually inflated cuff and stethoscope and for ambulatory blood pressure monitoring.