These archive materials were produced by the Institute of Biology during the late 1960's until the early 1980's. These booklets look in detail at different aspects of ecology, pollution and impacts on the environment. Although understanding in these fields has developed since the publication of these booklets, much of the content remains relevant and interesting to teachers and Post-16 students.
The collection contains these booklets:
* Lichens as Pollution Monitors
* Boreal Ecology
* Plant Physiological Ecology
* The Biology of Pollution
* Ecology of Insect-Plant Interactions
* Life in the Soil
* Ecological Energetics
* Estuarine Biology
* Colonization of Industrial Wasteland
* The Biochemistry of Pollution
* Pest Control and its Ecology
* Science and the Fisheries
* Life in Sandy Shores
* Ecology of Plants in the Tropics
* Marine Zooplankton
* Ecology of Fishes in Tropical Waters
* The Dynamics of Competition and Predation
* The Ecology of Streams and Rivers
* Population Dynamics
* Ecological Evaluation for Conservation
* Biological Control of Pests and Weeds
Produced in 1967 by the Institute of Biology as part of its Studies in Biology series, this booklet is intended to be an introduction to ecological principles rather than a practical guide.
It contains sections that look at:
* Microhabitats: soils, tree-trunks, logs, rocks, leaf-litter, carcasses and dung
Produced in 1974 by the Institute of Biology as part of its Studies in Biology series, this booklet aims to view the biology of estuarine organisms in the context of their environment as a whole. It also endeavours to provide a general framework against which some of the detailed studies on estuarine species can be...
Produced in 1976 by the Institute of Biology as part of its Studies in Biology series, this booklet looks at the interplay of abiotic factors, microflora and fauna in the decomposition process. The death and decomposition of organisms, along with the subsequent release of nutrients, is an essential link in the...
Produced in 1966 by the Institute of Biology as part of its Studies in Biology series, this booklet looks at ecological energetics (production biology). The biological capacity of the earth depends ultimately on the energy received from the Sun. With an increasing human population, it is of great importance to...